Map of Our Adventures


View Our Florida Adventures in a larger map

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Lake Alice

We'd been living in Florida for three weeks and we still hadn't seen any gators. I figured it was time to go hunt them down. I heard from a friend that I run with that you can almost guarantee a sighting at Lake Alice on University of Florida Campus. We packed up the kids and our bug spray and headed to the swamp for our second Sunday afternoon adventure.
 
At first I was skeptical because we were looking everywhere and we still weren't seeing any gators.

 
I knew we must be getting closer when I saw this sign.

 
While taking a picture of the sign I notice the ground begin to move. Right under my feet were hundreds of these tiny little frogs jumping all around. Ed caught one and let the boys hold it.

 
 Still no gators. Just lots of soft shell turtles.

 
Then, we spotted him! Our first real live Florida gator!

 
Isn't he sooo cute! Right down the path were two of his gator buddies making it a total of 3 gators on our first gator hunting trip. We are real live swamp people!

 
After about 30 seconds the boys were like, "Alright Mom, enough with the gators. Lets go eat fruit snacks!".

I was so excited to see those little gators. My next goal is to see a BIG gator. Stay tuned for more gator hunting fun.

2 comments:

  1. What? You actually go searching for gators? What's wrong with you? jk I'm glad you lived to tell the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap Stef, your hair is SO thick! Look at that pony tail of yours!

    ReplyDelete